[Xastir] I finally got it!

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 15:41:21 EDT 2010

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Michael Lewis wrote:

> I tried last night myself for a few hours interesting that I could decode
> packets in minicom with no problem so I tried back in Xastir and I only see
> myself.. I have a weather station about half a mile from me and he beacons
> out about every 3-5 min I never see the incoming arrow show in xastir (I
> guess that's what it does when a packet comes in) So I'm lost

Again, if you can see the entire packets in Minicom then you're NOT
in KISS mode.  If you see garbled header info and then a viewable
payload for the packet in Minicom, then you ARE in KISS mode.

I haven't looked at the TT4 command-set before, but if it's not
TAPR-2 compatible, Xastir will only be able to use that TNC in KISS
mode and you'll want to use the Serial KISS TNC interface in Xastir
to talk to it.

If it is TAPR-2 compatible (or enough so for Xastir), then you may
try using command-mode instead of KISS mode for the TNC, and use the
Serial TNC interface in Xastir.

Are you unplugging the USB->Serial adapter cable during your tests
and plugging it back in?  If Xastir has the port open then you may
be getting different /dev/USB* port numbers each time you plug it
in, then would have to close the old port in Xastir, change the
interface properties to the new /dev/USB* number, then restart
Xastir's interface in order to talk to it again.  Just another place
where things might go wrong.

I got tired of Linux renumbering my USB->Serial port between
/dev/USB0 and /dev/USB1, so I yanked that cable, turned off the
machine, put in a dual-port RS-232 card, and now run the TNX-X (KISS
TNC) off a real serial port.  Voila!  No more interface name
changes.